Sunday, 6 November 2011

Out of the Cup - Again

The 110 mile round trip resulted in a cup defeat for Belper. Curzon were just about the better side over the 90 minutes but the fact that we equalised in the 87th minute only to let in another goal a minute later was galling to say the least.
The initial drive over to Ashton was somewhat of a drag - just 52 miles according to the Sat Nav but that was via Buxton, Glossop et al. Although it was quite scenic I would have preferred to drive the 75 miles to Brigg on the motorway and be there in just over 1 hour rather than the 1 hour 45 it took to get to Ashton. Thankfully Carts had his iPhone as the sat nav took us almost all the way there before getting us lost in a maze of one way streets near the ground. Thats the problem when they give you a postcode that is 'approximately' near to your destination. When we got there the place was packed - looked like a real good crowd until you realised that 90% of them were at the 6-a-side complex next door. Just before kick off the majority had left and we were left with 137 hardy souls watching the match.
The set up at Curzon is really nice, two large stands and lots of barriers that would suit a league set up but with all that concrete it does come across as somewhat souless - especially with less than 150 people rattling around inside it. 

This photo of Harry Pride (Aarons dad) stood in the stand opposite the Main Stand probably illustrates this point better than I am describing it. Now admittedly this was before the kick off and he was stood there to get some welcome rays but you get the idea.
The main Stand is where all the action is, the bar, the facilities and at the top the boardroom where we get a refreshing cup of tea (and especially welcomed DARK Chocolate digestives).
At either end are open terrance where the travelling Nailers fans stood behind the goal that Belper were attacking in each half. It's great to see a good turn out at the away games since Ian & Neil organised the buses - top men both of those guys. Curzon Ashton v Belper photos
So we are out of all the cups now except for the Derbyshire Senior Cup which usually starts around the middle of December for us (3rd Rd stage). Last time we had a Monday night trip to New Mills (A place we past about half way into yesterdays journey to Ashton) - I missed that one !
Talking of missing games there will be two i'll miss in the next few weeks. An away trip to Goole on a Tuesday night will be the first then the Saturday trip to Market Drayton Town. We have tickets to see Vin Garbutt at the Assembly Rooms that night and the show starts at 7:30 so it will be too much of a rush to get back. Having done Market Drayton on a midweek night it will be a shame to miss a Saturday trip there as it's a nice place - if a little wooden (people who have been will know what I'm referring to).

Friday - haircut time followed by lunch and then a quick spin on the bike (very predictable eh ?). Decided that I needed to take it carefully until we've sorted the 'dicky ticker' situation out. Therefore kept it down to an easy 15 miles with just the climb back up to home as the challenge. Pulse got up to 174 on the final climb and the usual shortness of breath at the top but otherwise uneventful. That was the only cycling this week so the total now stands at 385 miles - should make it to 400 by the end of this week all being well.

No game on Tuesday evening now as our opponents Leek drew their FA Trophy game and are involved in a replay on Wednesday evening. So next up is a rare home game against Stanford next Saturday. Watch this space for more updates.

Oh by the way my favourite shot from yesterday was not of the action on the pitch but in the sky behind us.

No comments:

Post a Comment